Shell Seeker!


If you come to our home, you'll be greeted with shells as soon as you step in the door. You would be hard put to find a space where there isn't a bowl or jar of shells. As long as I can remember, I've collected shells. But since we've moved 38 times in 46 years, I've had to let all of them go. Except when we moved to the States after ten years in Ecuador, I brought home a Lightning Whelk from Ballenita on the coast of Ecuador. 

If you're a sheller, Anna Maria Island is a seashell paradise and I can't believe the treasures I've found, including a Junonia, Scotch Bonnets and Lion's Paw. But some of of my favorites are the alphabet cones, banded tulips, lightning whelks and pear whelks. And who can resist, scallop shells. My favorite color is the burnt orange, so I have an entire jar filled with them. 

And who can forget the almighty sand dollar. We often go to Whitney Beach where we can find as many was 120 sand dollars in two hours or just a handful; it all depends on the time of day. The best time to find sand dollars is early in the morning at low tide or low tide in the evening. And you have to get in the water to find some of the bigger ones, but we've found some of our larger ones right on the shore. 

Enjoy collecting shells in paradise

Until next time...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall on AMI

Egg Shell Casings

National Seashell Day - June 21, 2022